Wednesday 11 July 2012

The return of KIFS (107.5 Kiss FM)

Several months ago I wrote about the radio station we listened to in Southern Oregon, KIFS (107.5 Kiss FM). This past weekend I visited the Kiss-FM website to test the online streaming service, and for the first time ever it worked for me (I did this every few months, as it had never worked until now but I checked occasionally anyway). I was delighted as I listened to Kiss-FM for the first time in over two years.

While I was pleased, as I listened to Kiss-FM over a few days I noticed several changes to the station. For one thing, both Hollywood Hamilton's Weekend Top 30 and the Open House Party (both the the Saturday and Sunday versions) were gone, and I think the Party Playhouse is as well...although by the time that would start playing it would be 2:00am here. The adverts no longer appear to be local, but I think this might be because I was listening to it online rather than locally.

On the other hand, the presenters Gemineye, Kristina with a K, and DJ Hope are all still around, as is the Back in the Day Café and Dawson McAllister Live. Still, the feeling I experience while listening to the station again is as though I am visiting an old neighborhood: the place looks the same, but most of the people I knew have moved away. I know it's just a radio station, but after you've listened to something for such an extended period of time you do develop an attachment to it!

Perhaps what was most shocking is how similar the music is at the moment over here and in the United States: while listening to Kiss-FM I heard artists such as Carly Rae Jepsen, Gotye, Calvin Harris, Maroon 5, Fun, Rihanna, Flo Rida, Rita Ora, Nicki Minaj...all of whom I hear every day on the radio here. Only a few songs were different, but overall the playlists were surprisingly identical.

I mainly listen to Kiss-FM while it's the late evening here...(10:00pm here to 2:00pm there) so I can hear the afternoon presenter (Kristina with a K) rather than the middle of the night music. My primary station will still be The Hits Radio and Heart Northamptonshire, certainly, but it's good have the old station back, despite the changes it has undergone...and it being eight hours behind.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, in all fairness it may not be, but it's something else to write about and a good opportunity to bring back some contractions. :)

      Delete
  2. AAHH! So 107.5 changed a few years ago... it was all very confusing. It like, changed stations and then changed again and had really low signal for a while. That and Z100 were my JAMS when I used to live with my parents closer to portland! So funny that you used to listen to that station too :)
    I think it's Wild 107-5 now or something weird, but it's basically the same as it always was (and I totally remember Hollywood Hamilton, who has been replaced with Ryan Seacrest for the most part).

    ReplyDelete