Saturday 7 July 2012

Using contractions

You may have noticed that I do not use contractions in my blog. When I began Air Nice-to-Livelands I was using them in my writing here, but then I decided to stop as a method of improving the quality of the content.

In recent weeks I have been coming to the conclusion that the lack of contractions is actually removing some of the "emotion" from my posts and is giving me more of a robotic tone, rather than a friendly one. Perhaps I am just reading too much into it, but I am increasingly finding the lack of contractions frustrating. In formal writing contractions are often dropped in favour of complete words, but while I strive to use the best writing possible for my blog it is not meant to be formal.

I am asking you, my readers, what you would prefer: do you think returning to contractions would be an improvement, or are you happy with the blog as is? I am asking you because you likely interpret the blog in a different manner than I do, and you are, after all, my fans: I am grateful for your input!

9 comments:

  1. Some things just can't be said without them and sound natural. I try to limit but not eliminate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "natural element" has been my main concern in avoiding contractions.

      Delete
  2. Honestly, I don't notice. But, as I say to burgeoning writers: write in the style that makes you comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually glad you didn't notice...a diversity of opinions is a good thing! :) Good advice!

      Delete
  3. I think contractions are fine in a personal blog. If the tone you want your blog to convey is your personal voice, and you use contractions when you talk, then maybe try adding them in? I don't see an issue with it. I understand where you're coming from with the whole formal writing style thing, but I do agree that lack of contractions makes it seem less "you" if that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you make perfect sense and have, in essence, written out my exact thoughts on the matter. :) After I wrote this post last night I thought to myself how I don't avoid contractions while talking, and no one else avoids them either. My blog is supposed to be more of "my voice" rather than formal.

      Delete
  4. I think there's a time and a place for formality, but it's nice to hear your voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree on with the first point, glad to hear about the second. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks Stephanie, Jessica, Rebeka, and Betsy, I really appreciate your feedback. I'll stick to the current format for now while I have a think on the matter, but I'll look to introducing contractions in a controlled manner soon. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete