Saturday 29 October 2011

The next month

My twenty-first birthday is next month. I am wondering how my birthday will be celebrated this year: in 2010, that birthday was different to the few before it because we were still living at my grandparents' house and therefore we celebrated it with relatives. For the last few years, including last year, the dinner I have requested has been burgers, fries, and eggs or baked beans; it is not an original meal anymore, but it is one of my favourite junk food meals.

How do I feel about turning twenty-one? Unsure, actually. Nearly every year I get asked, "How does it feel to be <insert age here>?", and every year I give the same answer, "same as it did when I was <insert age here>". My twentieth birthday was different in the fact it was spent in a different country to most of the birthdays coming before it, but going directly from nineteen -> twenty overnight did not feel any different in itself.

Being twenty overall has felt a lot different to the past few years, as it should do, and the UK move itself notwithstanding, but there are still several issues where it is still the same and I am working to change that. Despite the tone of this post, I am certainly not feeling negative about turning twenty-one. In fact, my feelings on it are more positive, but turning twenty-one would be nothing more than a number if for the most part it is a repeat of the last few years (minus the moves).

I think as a start, I will not request burgers, fries, and eggs and/or baked beans for my upcoming birthday. Granted, this is a small change, but it is just the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh, 21. :) I was a Muslim during my 21st, so I couldn't drink alcohol or gamble. Mom's family was pressuring, so needless to say I didn't enjoy my 21st.

    Have fun! And take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :) I hope your 22nd birthday was a better occasion for you then. ;)

    ReplyDelete