Thursday 20 October 2011

Coin coincidence

An interesting coincidence happened this afternoon. During a walk one morning before we moved from Littleport, I noticed an American dime in the gutter, and after picking it up I was quite pleased I had found it (after all, during our time in the United States we collected several varieties of foreign coins).

This afternoon, I went for a walk, then just as I left the house something reminded me of that dime, and I thought how interesting it would be to find more loose foreign coins around. While on my walk, I found a coin in the gutter, but it was dirty and I could not identify it, although I assumed it was a British penny judging from its size.

Upon returning home, I washed the coin and took a better look at it. On a close inspection, I saw the word "Canada" inscribed upon it: the coin was not British but rather, a 2007 Canadian penny. I was surprised to discover what the coin really was, but also surprised that I had found a foreign coin after thinking about finding them only half an hour beforehand: it is certainly an interesting coincidence.

Since the coin I collected is still too dirty to get a clear photograph of, I looked up pictures of 2007 Canadian pennies and can post a link to one. It depicts both sides of the coin:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=613286&ppid=1122&image=117972067&images=117972067&formats=0&format=0

No comments:

Post a Comment