Tuesday 11 October 2011

"Invisible" - Skylar Grey

One song that I am listening to a lot currently is "Invisible" by Skylar Grey. It has a great sound, thought-provoking lyrics, and always-excellent vocals from Skylar Grey herself. The music video for the track is certainly interesting, too. In all, it is a superb song.

So who is Skylar Grey, you may ask. Well, do you remember the song "Where'd You Go" by Fort Minor, a side-project band by Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda? In that song, a then-unknown singer named Holly Brook was featured. Not long later she released her debut album, Like Blood Like Honey. Yes, that is correct: Skylar Grey and Holly Brook are the same person.

The change took me completely by surprise: earlier this year I heard the songs "I Need a Doctor" by Dr. Dre featuring Eminem and Skylar Grey, and "Coming Home" by Diddy - Dirty Money featuring Skylar Grey. I liked her vocals in both songs and decided to look her up, only to find connections between Skylar Grey/Holly Brook appear in the searches. While doing my research, I was shocked to learn that sometime in 2010 Holly Brook became Skylar Grey.

I still do not know her exact reasons for her change, but regardless, I am delighted for her to be on the scene again. While I do not own a copy yet (and have wanted it almost since it came out but it has somehow eluded me: I will get a copy someday), Like Blood Like Honey is a great album from what I have heard from it, and I wondered when she would release a follow-up, bearing in mind her debut came back out in 2006.

Her first album as Skylar Grey, and second studio album overall, Invinsible (yes it is spelt that way deliberately), will be released in January of 2012. I am looking forward to it, and will definitely buy a copy. In the meantime, we can listen to the lead single, "Invisible".

No comments:

Post a Comment