Friday 2 September 2011

My old view

When we lived in Oregon, I had my own room, and it was the smallest of the trio of bedrooms within our house. Despite this, it was still a large room if compared to British standards, and I had plenty of space for all my belongings; I also had a big desk for all my work, computer, and numerous other items. However, what I miss most about my old bedroom is not my desk or how spacious the room was, but rather, the view from my window.

As I sat at my desk, I could just look to my left towards a spectacular view of our front yard: we had two acres of land at the front of our house, containing a few trees (including some Christmas trees we planted), a gentle slope to the road, and plenty of grass. I would often see deer feast and/or rest in our yard, or watch dozens of small birds peck the ground.

I especially loved my room in spring: I would have the window open to allow in the breeze, and I would have my radio turned on to listen to my favorite radio station (itself a topic for another post). Whenever I looked out the window during that time of the year, the grass in the front yard would be a beautiful shade of green, and the trees would be full of leaves. Looking at the greenery while listening to my radio and having a cool breeze blow on me always cheered me up or calmed me down.

I deeply miss my old view and the positive feelings associated with it, but alas, I could not bring my view with us on our move. I am fortunate that our current residence has a relatively decent view from my window, even if it is of the local houses; but just like my view in Oregon used to be, I only have to look left to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment