Friday 22 July 2016

Donald Trump's RNC speech

I watched presidential candidate Donald Trump's speech at the Republican National Convention. Needless to say, I thought the speech was mostly fearmongering with vague statements about how he'd address crime and immigration. Even if I weren't already against his candidacy in the first place, the speech would not have convinced me to support him.

The oddest part of Trump's speech was when he mentioned about protecting - to quote him - the "LGBTQ" community from attacks (albeit from foreigners), which earned him applause as did when he noted that the crowd applauded him for his LGBTQ comments. To my knowledge, he is the first Republican candidate to mention the term "LGBTQ" at the RNC; his comment is in conflict with the current party platform, which is notoriously anti-LGBTQ, but as it's unknown what Trump's policies truly are, it's difficult to tell if he is sincere.

I am looking forward to the speeches by Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders at the Democratic National Convention. I'm hoping that they'll primarily focus on the positives of Clinton and the party platform rather than on Trump's negatives, mainly because as we've learned, people don't always listen to warnings - they need to be told why something else is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Any person in the LGBT community that votes for Trump (or any republican for the matter) is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've modified the wording of my post a bit but overall, it's a mistake for anyone to for the Trump/the Republicans!

      Delete