Wednesday 12 March 2014

The spammers

My blog's built-in filter has sent over 300 hundred pending comments into the spam folder. Most of the time, the spammers target several of my posts but occasionally they seem to focus on one. At the moment, they seem to like my post about asking for someone else's home wi-fi password.

In the past week, the target page has picked up over forty fake views with the "links" it has received from spam websites. The comments that have been blocked are quite amusing, though: they consist of giving me useless and/or incomprehensible advice and ideas, such as decorating an empty room with a Bible, holding my phone close to me to get apps to work, incomplete information on how to set margins in Microsoft Word, buying things to keep my pet relaxed and some bizarre ramblings about football. Of course, they all have a spam link thrown in at the end of their comments.

Ah well, such as it is with spambots. At least on Blogger either comment moderation and/or catchpas can be used to stop them; it is sad, however, when one comes across an abandoned blog, which wasn't given any sort of spam protection by its owner(s), littered with spam comments. I came across one like this the other day; just a few years ago it was a highly active blog, but the owner since moved on and left it be, allowing it to become a spamyard. What a shame.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, that's why comments now have to be approved by me and I believe you have to ID yourself to comment on mine. I just remember getting so many spam messages. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being notified of the spam messages you'd get. :o (I get notified whenever someone comments on your blog.)

      Delete
  2. Spamyard. I haven't heard that word. I have one comment in my spam folder. I don't have many visitors from the land of the most recent Olympics. I had a ton of those on my old blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of just made it up: I initially wanted to write a "graveyard of spam comments", but "spamyard" sounded better.

      Yes, I have loads of those visitors, too; I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of them are spam views. :/

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Your catchpa seems to stop most but the occasional one somehow makes it through. :o

      Delete