Wednesday 29 February 2012

Olympia Snowe

I was shocked last night to hear that Senator Olympia Snowe (R-ME) has decided not to run for re-election, despite her being a popular senator and because the election is a mere eight months away. Her frustration with gridlock and polarizing politics are among her reasons for standing down.

I am in two minds about her leaving the Senate: on one hand, I support the Democrats and it is my hope that they keep the Senate after this current election; Snowe's departure significantly increases their chances of holding it. At the same time, I think Snowe is a good and fair politician: from what I understand, her votes have often been what she thinks are best for the country, rather than for her or for her party. Snowe has been willing to work with members from either party, and vote against her own when she disagreed with them. She has rarely/never engaged in name-calling as far as I know, and overall she seems like a nice person. While I do not agree with all of her political positions, I have not had a reason to dislike her.

Snowe's departure will also mean another "true" moderate leaving the Senate, and will most likely lead to an increase in the polarization and negativity she wants to get away from. While it would not be her fault per se for any such increase, the loss of another senator both willing to listen to/work with the two parties and not wanting to push through an agenda, as well as not being a negative individual, will only lead to further gridlock.

Ultimately, it was Snowe's decision to step down. I suspect there are people who wished she had said so earlier, but I am sure she has good reasons for making her decision and announcement now. I will be curious to see if she pursues another role somewhere in politics or decides to retire completely.

Finally, I was not expecting to write two politics-related posts in such a short space of time, and I even find myself surprised to be writing this particular piece.

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame, really. We need good politicians that aren't so extreme in polarities to get us back in good standing with the world, our money, etc.

    ReplyDelete