Wednesday 15 February 2012

California rolling

I read a post yesterday by my friend Jessica on her blog about bus rides. I thought the post was great overall, but there was a tiny part of it that caught my eye: the part where she mentioned a "California roll". In this context, Jessica is referring to when a driver slows down to a near-stop at a stop sign, but continues to drive without stopping completely. I know them as "California rolling stops", and although they were illegal in Oregon, we observed that a significant amount of drivers were either unaware or did not care about that being the case.

Inspired by the brief mention in her blog, out of sheer curiosity...and because I rarely hear them said aloud anymore, I decided to research the terms "California roll" and "California rolling stop". I was surprised to learn that in addition to referring to the rolling stop, a "California roll" is also a type of sushi roll filled with crab and avocado; however, it then occurred to me that it should not have been surprising at all: I have never eaten sushi before and do not pay attention towards anything to do with it, and I am used to hearing about rolling stops than a particular type of food. Still, I am pleased to learn a small fact merely from wanting to look up some terminology.

The interesting part here now is that rolling stops only had a small (albeit significant) part of Jessica's post, and food had nothing to do with it whatsoever. Even so, thank you Jessica for your role in my post about California rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment