Sunday 27 November 2011

21st birthday celebration

Much of the morning for the 26th was spent making the final preparations for my 21st birthday celebration...in other words, readying all the food. Items such as the potato salad and garlic bread (cold garlic bread is better off as leftovers, not as part of the main meal) could only be prepared on the day of the event. Fortunately, there was not any housework to do, as it had all been done over the last couple of days.

Around midday, my aunt, two younger cousins, my oldest cousin, and my grandmother all arrived to attend the celebration (they were all the ones we visited in Nottingham during August: my uncle was unable to come due to his work schedule, and my grandfather had house maintenance to oversee). We had invited other family members, but they had other reasons that they could not come (two are currently overseas).

Prior to eating, we spent time showing them around our house (none of them had visited it until yesterday), and then talking and looking at pictures. We ate at about 2:00 after all the food was laid out on the dining room table, and what a feast my mother had prepared! There were sausages, chicken, potato salad, lettuce salad, coleslaw, tomatoes, guacamole, and garlic bread...with plenty for everyone to have some of each. On top of all that were two cakes that we made a few days ago, one chocolate and one strawberry.

After eating everyone just sat and talked, waiting for the first course to settle before going on to dessert. Upon cake-time, a "2" candle was put in the strawberry cake and "1" candle was put in the chocolate one, then everybody sang Happy Birthday to me, and I blew out the candles. We all had a piece of both cakes, and they were indeed delicious. Dad entertained everyone with a few Bad Lip Reading videos as we had dessert.

I opened up my gifts after dessert. From my aunt, uncle, and cousins I received a pen with my name engraved on it and a box of Thorntons chocolates; and from my grandparents I received a digital photo frame and a box of Lindt chocolates. I have a small pen collection, so the pen with my name on it will be among my more "special" pens; and my grandparents have digital photo frames at their house, so it is good to have my own. As for the chocolates...well, I love chocolate! I thanked my family members for the presents.

Sometime around 4:30, the celebration came to an end when our relatives had to leave. They had about an hour's trip to Nottingham, possibly a bit more due to the fact it was dark outside by then. Prior to their departure, we ensured that they took home a piece of both cakes each for my grandfather and uncle to have. Once they left, we spend the rest of the evening relaxing, and we had a small meal during this time.

We all had a good time with my 21st birthday celebration. It may have been a less intense 21st birthday party than a lot of people have, but it was still a fun event. Tomorrow I shall upload the pictures of the cakes and my gifts.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated 21st birthday! By the sounds of it it was a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Jen, thanks! :) It certainly was...I had a good time. :D

    ReplyDelete