Wednesday 27 April 2016

"This One Brave Soul Spoke Out Against Internet Procrastination. The Response Completely Changed My View On Life!"

I posted this to Facebook a few hours ago:

"Recently, I've become more active in *not* clicking clickbait headlines. So far, it has worked and has saved me valuable time for more productive tasks. Should have done it sooner!

However, even before I started, the type of headline I was ignoring was 'Person 1 said something and Person 2 DESTROYED them!'. These aren't even clickbait anymore...they're just outright ridiculous and entered old hat territory when I read about how certain US presidential candidates were DESTROYED this way (some several times, in fact) yet still have active campaigns."

I usually groaned, tutted or muttered something whenever I saw such headlines but I continued to read articles associated with them until I saw a dozen or so pages about Donald Trump being "demolished", "destroyed" or "obliterated" by someone who made some mildly witty remark about something he'd said. The blatantly-bogus headlines became boring (and no, this isn't an endorsement of Trump - it's possible to be a critic and still reject nonsensical claims about someone or something).

Oh, and the clickbaity title for this post is intentional; it's from a comment I posted on my Facebook post when a friend and I were joking about this topic. This is, by far, my longest blog post title.

2 comments:

  1. UGH clickbait is the WORST. 99% of the time it's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and I like how you've written your comment - almost clickbaity wording in itself! :D

      Delete