Saturday 23 May 2015

Ireland marriage equality vote

Yesterday, Ireland held a referendum on whether or not the country should change its constitution to allow same-sex couples to marry. Not only did the people of Ireland vote for marriage equality but they did so by a convincing margin on a high turnout. There was no close 51%-49% result, which I was expecting, and no low-turnout election with a win for the "No" side.

I'm glad the margin of victory for "Yes" was overwhelming. Hopefully, it will mean that "No" won't try to initiate a second referendum to overturn the first.

2 comments:

  1. Here's hoping the "No" people don't get their wish. Maybe it's not religion per se that tries to stop gay marriage because I know Ireland is very Christian - but it might just be some people in general being blowhards. I was thinking about that yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I would be surprised if the "No" lot made a push for another referendum; from what I read, a "Yes" outcome was supported by all main parties, as well as a majority of the population. :)

      Delete