Monday 6 May 2013

Lilypad pond

A neighbour recently told Dad about a local pond inhabited by fish and a terrapin; the pond isn't far from our house but we had never been to it before because it's by a field we don't usually walk near. Dad and I went to the pond this afternoon:

The pond was filled with lilypads and reeds. There were a few branches and a log present in the water as well.

A goldfish; Dad estimated that there were at least 50 of them in the pond. They would frequently surface near the lilypads or whatever part of the pond Dad and I weren't near, although this particular fish didn't care.

Dad and I did see the terrapin, but it was swimming too fast for me to photograph; it wasn't possible for my camera to focus on a rapidly-moving reptilian head in water. A couple of teenagers who were at the pond while we were there said that they had seen three terrapins in the water before.

2 comments:

  1. the Terrapin is the mascot of the University of Maryland - I've never actually seen one, even though I grew up in MD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it was Maryland where Dad said he saw a snapping turtle run by the side of the road in the rain.

      Delete