Wednesday 17 October 2012

Britishisms in America

This is a fascinating piece that I read on the BBC this morning; it's about the increasing amount of British terminology being used in the United States. I'm so used to hearing about Americanisms being used in the United Kingdom that I rarely think about the reverse:


I have heard Americans use some of the words listed there: "autumn", "holiday", "roundabout", "cheers" and "mate" are a few that spring to mind. While they're not mentioned on the list, I have also heard Americans use the word "bugger" and the term "see you": a "bugger" is normally an irritant ("building that fence was a bugger!") or a playful insult ("she's a clever bugger!"), although it does have a more vulgar meaning, too. "See you" is a common British term for goodbye.

On a similar note, I would like to see an article covering Americans adopting British pronunciations. There are several American pronunciations that are taking hold over here (most people under forty use the American pronunciations of "lieutenant" and "schedule", and the ones who don't are normally being pretentious), but I've yet to read anything about the opposite. If British terms are being used in the United States then there's a good chance British pronunciations are as well.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh this is interesting. I say "see ya" sometimes and I say Cheers all the time. It would be interesting to read about the reverse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought "see ya" and "cheers" were common greetings/goodbyes wherever English is spoken; I didn't realize they were British terms. :)

      Delete
  2. people keep pointing out that I now pronounce "February" differently. I don't think Americans are in ANY danger of pronouncing things like the British unless they're putting it in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I can't see any widespread usage of British pronunciations happening in the US anytime soon, either. :) I'm merely interested to learn if anything is being adopted.

      Out of curiosity, how would you pronounce February? I'm only aware of "feb-roo-arry" or dropping the first "r" with "feb-you-arry".

      Delete