Saturday 11 June 2011

Late nights

Prior to June 2010, I normally went to bed about 10:30, but for the half-hour before that time I would have been listening to the radio, and would still be listening for another half-hour to an hour afterwards before turning the radio off and going to sleep. Only on Sunday nights would I be listening until 12:00, as there was a radio program on where young people/young adults phoned for advice, and I didn't mind hearing what was said on that until the show ended for the night. I would normally be tired in the morning, but once I was fully awake I was fine. Therefore, my late nights took place on a Sunday, and 12:00 was when the radio went off.

Then, during our final week in the United States, there was a film on at night that my brother and I watched, and it went on until for over two hours, past 12:00 and ending at 1:00. We laughed about it, complimented ourselves, reckoned that staying up until 1:00 would be unlikely to happen again soon, and then we went to bed. Really, we thought that watching until 1:00 was the limit, and wouldn't happen again for a long time...

At our grandparents house, to begin with we went to bed at 10:00, and listened to the radio for a little over an hour before we turned it off and went to sleep. One evening, my grandfather decided to watch Stargate SG-1 from the beginning, and so he, my Dad, brother, and I all watched it. We watched it one episode at a time at first (this in itself took us to 11:15 on average), but soon we were regularly watching three, sometimes even four, episodes of Stargate SG-1 in the evenings after dinner! Going to bed at times between 12:25pm - 1:15am, once unthinkable, was happening on a regular basis! There were even a few occasions where my brother and I were up with our grandfather past 2:00, though that was normally because we were watching TV until 1:00/1:30, but would talk for a while afterwards. Going to bed at 12:00 became an "early night" for some time.

Since moving to our own place, we are often still awake at 12:00, but that's mainly because we've been talking and listening to the radio again, and therefore resting, rather than watching Stargate SG-1 and other shows until crazy hours. We've definitely been going to bed earlier and getting a lot more sleep, and we shall be keeping it this way. Those late nights were fun while they lasted, but they couldn't go on indefinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment