Tuesday 7 June 2011

Inflatable beds

I have been sleeping on an inflatable bed (also known as an "air mattress") for the last several months, and I can honestly say that they are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. They are firm, but soft to lie on; comfortable when lying on your side, back, or front; and I've found it easy to get to sleep quickly on them. From what I have read, they are good for people with bad backs. I have overslept more times on inflatable beds than on any other type!

The main disadvantage with them is that a lot of them don't seem to be designed for long-term usage, only occasional. They either start losing air via the valves; or the chambers inside that store the air "pop": this doesn't burst the bed, but rather, causes the area around the popped chamber to bulge; however, I suspect if enough chambers popped it would ultimately cause it to burst. Apparently, there are inflatable beds designed to deal with the popping chamber problem, though we haven't come across any yet.

Regardless, they are still fantastic beds. If you get the chance to sleep on an inflatable bed, I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. I would have never thought that an inflatable bed would be more comfortable than a normal mattress. I've been wanting to try a temprapedia bed for awhile now. I wonder how the two would compare...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree: at first I didn't think they would be more comfortable, and thought I would have difficulty getting to sleep, but once you try them, it can be hard to get out of bed! As far as I can remember, I haven't tried the type of bed you mention, though it would be good to compare.

    ReplyDelete