Thursday 16 July 2015

The new Iran deal

In June of 2013, I wrote about my thoughts on the election of Hassan Rouhani to the position of President of Iran. Later that year, I wrote about an interim deal between Iran and the West. In recent days, a new deal has been struck with Iran to scale back its nuclear program.

What do I think about the deal? I am happy with it. As I've said before, I favour efforts to prevent war; the officials who has worked hard to secure the deal - individuals such as US Secretary of State John Kerry, the UK's Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Philip Hammond, and Iran's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif - should all be commended. The actions of these people and others have all contributed towards nuclear non-proliferation, towards peace and towards international co-operation.

By contrast, I think those who are criticising the deal and/or have stated their intentions to actively sabotage it should be condemned. Seriously, why are people who advocate for more war in the Middle East being granted any sort of attention? They should be refuted and dismissed, not treated as though they have any credibility.

I hope the deal will lead to a continuing improvement of relations between Iran and the West. Such an amelioration is good for all sides and the world as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment