Wednesday 1 July 2015

Questions from new students

Last week, my Employability teacher asked if I would be willing to chat to some of the next academic year's new students about my experiences at my college; the days on which I would do this would be today and tomorrow. This involved going into a couple of classrooms with the future students and answering their questions - while in front of several teachers. I accepted.

This afternoon, I talked to two groups of upcoming students at my college. Their questions mainly focused on what the college was like, what my subjects entailed and what was my greatest challenge to overcome. I was with the students for about half an hour altogether and it was my first time conducting public speaking with a completely unfamiliar audience; that several prominent teachers were listening and watching added to the challenge.

How were my nerves? They held. In fact, I barely felt nervous at all, which could have been down to that the temperature was too hot for me to be nervous but regardless, I didn't succumb to cowardice. Once I was in the room and talking, I was fine.

All the teachers thanked me for my input and my Employability teacher made me two cups of tea and bought me a popsicle, which was a pleasant surprise.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm proud of you Andrew. I'm glad your college does this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! :) Yes, I was glad to do it, too.

      Delete