Sunday 10 June 2012

The 2005 me on phones (2)

As a follow-up to my post on my 2005 opinion on mobile phones, there is one other point worth mentioning on the subject,

A few weeks ago, for the first time ever I received a text while having dinner, and as was expected my phone alerted me about the text. I was slightly embarrassed by my phone going off in the middle of the meal (I had forgotten to switch it to vibrate), but everyone just laughed and carried on eating. I checked the message and responded after we had finished.

I saw the funny side of this, because I used to really dislike it when someone's phone went off during a meal, regardless of whether the person answered it or not. In all fairness it does depend on the situation: in that particular case my phone went off but I did not respond until after dinner was finished (only a few minutes away); I think I would have received objections if I had texted back while others were still eating. Since then I have received a few more texts during mealtimes, and in most cases I respond immediately after finishing.

Unless I was expecting something important (not general chit-chat), I would not answer an actual call during a meal. I would not want anyone whom I was speaking to in person and having dinner with to feel as though they are less worthy to talk to than someone on a phone. This is not something that has happened to me, but I have heard about it being done to others.

It a nutshell, I am no longer bothered by a person who frequently (but briefly) checks their phone or receives a text/call when speaking. The former is what I do with my phone and the latter has happened to me...it would be hypocritical to be offended when someone does something that I do!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, when I was in middle and high schools, my friend would always answer it. It drove me nuts.

    ReplyDelete