Tuesday 15 May 2012

"Pretty Baby" - Vanessa Carlton

For no reason other than I felt like hearing her again, I decided to listen to a few Vanessa Carlton tracks earlier today. It was months...possibly even years, since I last heard her music and her voice until a few hours ago.

When I started frequently listening to the radio at the end of 2004, Carlton was among the artists I heard first. The two songs of hers that were the most often played were "A Thousand Miles", her debut and signature song; and "Pretty Baby" (released in 2002 and 2003, respectively), from her album Be Not Nobody. While I was new to radio back then, those two tracks stood out from a lot of the music I was hearing at that time because of her soft voice and her piano playing.

Here is a link to "Pretty Baby"; although "A Thousand Miles" is her most successful song, I chose to link to "Pretty Baby" instead because of its lesser-known status:


Since her debut, Carlton has released three more albums, Harmonium, Heroes & Thieves, and Rabbits on the Run. I was disappointed to learn that Harmonium and Horses & Thieves were commercial flops in comparison to Be Not Nobody, and that even Rabbits on the Run has not reached anywhere near the level of success that her beginning release did in the early 2000s. Her first album peaked at #5 on the Billboard 200 while the most recent only peaked at #62. It is a shame because she is talented and makes lovely, pleasant music.

To be fair, I have not exactly helped, either. While I like what I have heard so far of Carlton's music, currently I do not own any of her albums, not even Be Not Nobody. The most likely reason for that is because I heard her a lot less when Beat 93 was dissolved and I moved over to KIFS (107.5 Kiss FM); as a result, she was put to the side by artists with greater airplay. Now, after writing this post and hearing her a little earlier today I think I shall listen to her some more and bump her up my list of music I want to buy in the future.

12 comments:

  1. Admittedly I only knew of her song "A Thousand Miles" and I had no idea that she had released so many albums after that. Then again that's something that happens to a lot of artists, whose albums would be a success both commercially and with the music critics but their later albums have gotten overlooked by fans, critics and radio/television. It's a shame that it happens to so many artists. But I'm glad you've re-discovered her music and for posting this as I might check out more of her later songs considering I did like "A Thousand Miles" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds strange, but a part of me is sad that I mostly forgot about Vanessa, especially considering how much I liked her songs when I first heard them. I did hear her a few times over the years, but not so much as I did at the end of 2004 and the first three months of 2005.

      You're welcome for me re-discovering her music again. :) It was a good post to write.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I was the same with Lene Marlin (I first liked her when I was 8 and forgot about her and her great music until I was 16). I think the important thing is our current appreciation for said artists and the effect their music has on us. It's a shame that we went so many years without their music but it's a great thing that we re-discovered them and are sharing those experiences to help others re-discover these artists :)

      Delete
    3. Heh, now you've caused me to look up Lene Marlin! :D

      Delete
    4. Well if she's someone whose music you liked back in the day but have forgotten about then it's all good. :) And if she's someone whose music you never really checked out then that's good too as you might find something you like :)

      Delete
  2. Aww man, I haven't heard V.C. in years. I forgot about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admittedly, I've been a fan of her songs ever since her debut album. Her melodies are just catchy and easy to play on the piano and I've loved how it's easy to teach those for others interested in learning it too. I'll never get tired of her songs even after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that. :D Welcome to my blog, Ian Tyson. :)

      Delete