Thursday 10 May 2012

Ashlee Simpson's aeroplane

On a first glance at this post's header it probably looks as though the topic would be about Ashlee Simpson's personal aircraft. That, however, is not what I am writing about, and I do not know if Simpson even has her own plane!

Instead, it is about her song "La La". In Simpson's singing I have always heard her use the pronunciation "aeroplane" over "airplane". At first I thought I was mishearing her so I listened more closely, but even with closer attention to the song I continued to hear "aeroplane". I also checked to ensure that she was not putting any emphasis after "air" by saying "air-uh-plane", and I found it still sounded exactly like "air-o-plane". Finally, I checked several lyrics websites and her exact words are as follows:

"You can meet me on an aeroplane
Or in the back of the bus"

I find this interesting because "aeroplane" is the British spelling and pronunciation of  "airplane", which is used in the United States, and Simpson is American. With the exception of someone educating others about differences in spelling and pronunciation, I have never heard any other American besides Simpson say "aeroplane". Evidently Simpson had her reasons for using the British variant (one that comes to mind for me is that it does sound clunkier to sing "airplane" instead, but then if I had heard the song that way to begin with it is what I would have become used to and would not have given it a second thought), but as curious as I am to know exactly what they were I doubt we will learn them; after all, the song was written several years ago, and it is only a minor thing to worry about. Regardless, it is one of those minor facts that I find fascinating.

Listen around the 0:48 - 0:53 marks of "La La" here. Even now I checked a few more times just to ensure she still said "aeroplane", and seven years after I first heard the song I continue to hear that pronunciation.

8 comments:

  1. I remember when I used to own that CD. I never noticed it, then again I was 15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was thanks to my familiarity with both pronunciations that I was able to notice it. :)

      Delete
  2. I never actually noticed that she was using the British variant instead of the American one. I would have thought the reason for using it would have been because one of the songwriters is British but, after looking it up, that's not that case: As Ashlee Simpson, Kara DioGuardi and John Shanks (who co-wrote the song together) are all American.

    I do agree that "airplane" sounds clunkier and that's probably because it's missing that other syllable/note in the melody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, before I made the post I checked to see if any of the other writers were British. :) That may have been the explanation if one of them had been! :D

      Delete
  3. Haha, I always used to wonder about that as well! I think it just sounds better with the rhythm and lends a certain cadence to it. Some Americans seem to like using British pronunciation from time to time anyway (and vice versa) though, I've found.

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becca, welcome to my blog! :) I've sung the line a few times out loud and really, the American pronunciation doesn't work in the song. I'm glad someone else has always noticed Simpson's pronunciation in "La La"! :D

      Delete
    2. I think I'm quite sensitive to how people things pronounce things, and was even before I started studying phonetics and the like (yes, it's that Becca, hi!).

      Delete
    3. Heh, heh; I know. ;) (Who you are, that is.) It's nice to see you over here, Becca! :D

      Delete