Sunday 18 March 2012

Six weeks at number one

My brother and I listened to the American Top 40 and Hollywood Hamilton's Weekend Top 30 when we lived in Oregon, and we heard them every weekend. Since we have been back in the United Kingdom, the radio countdown show we have followed has been The Vodafone Big Top 40.

We have been listening to this radio show for over a year and a half, and it has been rare for any song on that countdown to remain at number one for more than three weeks. As such, it has been a nice surprise for "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye featuring Kimbra (whom I have written about before and am now pleased to hear on the radio here) to have been at the top position for the past six weeks, including today's episode.

I remember when Mariah Carey was number one for twelve weeks in 2005 on the American Top 40 with "We Belong Together" and when Fergie was on the top for eight weeks with "Big Girls Don't Cry" on Hollywood Hamilton's Weekend Top 30 in 2007. With Gotye and Kimbra's success here, it has been great to hear someone at number one again for such an extended period of time. I know this is insignificant in the long run, but it is a small pleasure!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't listened to a Top 40 in 10 years. I like genres that don't have top 40s though.

    http://clayxmatthewsxfan89.blogspot.com/2012/03/1st-draft-infinity-on-south-street.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the radio. :) I also like music that isn't on the top 40.

      Delete