Wednesday 28 March 2012

Panoramic images

During our recent barbecue I discovered something that the camera on my phone is better at than my main camera: panoramic images.

I was messing around with the camera settings on my phone when I found the "panoramic" mode and switched the camera to that particular setting. I proceeded to take a picture in the panoramic mode: my camera let me take the first picture in the panoramic, but then it directed me to where the camera should be aimed once that first picture was taken, and then it would automatically take the picture once I pointed it to its target. Even better, once six pictures had been taken, the camera would merge them all into one and crop the uneven parts of the images accordingly. Hardly any effort is required!

In contrast, my main camera does take panoramic images, but it requires a photo-stitching software to merge any pictures it takes in its panoramic mode. However, this has not been an issue since I have not had any reason to use any panoramic features.

What amuses me the most is that I thought I had discovered all of my phone's abilities. Evidently, I have not...but I think it is good to keep learning more about something you thought you already did know everything about!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, that's true. I love discovering new things on my phone: now I can blog via text messages. ^_^ It depends on picture wise what I'll take phone pictures of. I find my phone is better at panoramic images as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could blog via text messages too, but Internet on my provider is expensive...I'd drain my credit very quickly!

      I have a Samsung S5230, and it has a 3.2 mexapixel camera...lower than my main camera, but good enough when my phone is all I'm carrying. What type do you have?

      Delete
    2. I hope mine doesn't cost extra! Haha. But, it shouldn't.

      My phone is an LG. It's through Verizon (my phone company); it doesn't give a model number though.

      Delete