Monday 17 December 2012

Small Christmas tree 2012

My family and I assembled our own Christmas trees this year, repeating what we did in 2009 and 2011. We collected some decent branches from outside, allowed them to dry in the garage and then placed them into some suitable jars or pots. We built two trees; this is the smaller one, which my brother decorated:

Unfortunately, taking a picture of the larger tree would show too much of our living room, so only the lesser tree will have its image here. However, I am happy to send a picture of the larger tree - and more pictures of this tree - to anybody who requests it; the larger tree is impressive, but then again, I am biased because I decorated it!

There is something more satisfying about constructing a tree over going out and buying one. I don't like killing a tree for only a couple of weeks at a certain time of the year, and a fake tree doesn't feel right either. These branches may be unusual, and perhaps not as visually appealing as a regular tree, but I love them all the same.

4 comments:

  1. That's really cool, we've always had a fake tree and although I like real ones I agree with your point on cutting down a living tree for two/three weeks is harsh. We bought a little one in a sale after Christmas last year and planted it in our front garden and it lasted quite a while before it died and I liked the idea of re-homing the tree and giving it some life :) I love Christmas craft and recycling things so I think this is fab :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :)

      When my family and I lived in Southern Oregon we did have a fake tree for several years, but for the first three years there we did purchase live trees. We were fortunate to have a lot of land, as we planted all three of those trees in our front yard.

      Delete