Tuesday 11 December 2012

A very foggy day

Today has been the foggiest day my area has had in a long time; the fog's thickness made it nearly impossible seeing more than 50 feet down the road. Now that it's dark out the fog has lifted significantly, but during the daylight hours it was surprisingly heavy. Wanting to explore the town during the fog, I decided to go for a walk.

It's an interesting experience walking around places you're familiar with during the fog: not only does everything look entirely different, but you tend to notice things you don't normally pay attention to when the weather's normal. For example, I learnt this afternoon that my town has a shoe shop. On a perfectly clear day the store blends in with its surrounding buildings; today, the structure was highlighted by the light level and the fog's position around it. I had walked past it several times! Granted, one could say that I'm simply unobservant, but in my defence the shop is hidden behind some bushes and other buildings.

After my walk I was informed that a "fog warning" had been put up. I never would have guessed! The fog is supposed to clear up by tomorrow afternoon, but it wouldn't surprise me if it lasted all day. Besides, the fog hasn't been the troubling part of the recent weather: it's the ice that's caused some problems. My brother slipped on it the other day, and I heard that a little girl slipped and ended up with concussion. The ice has melted for now, but given the cold weather I expect it to return shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment