Sunday 15 April 2012

Timing showers

As part of the hosepipe ban we are supposed to avoid having showers lasting longer than four minutes. To help stick to that limit, we have been using the stopwatch feature on my phone to time how long each of us is in the shower.

So far my mother has been the quickest, being able to clean herself in just over a minute, and in just over two minutes when she has to wash her hair. I have been under three minutes every time so far, with the only exception being when I had to activate (and subsequently deactivate) the stopwatch myself for that occasion. Dad has been the slowest in the shower, reaching the four minute mark, but he has had foot cramp recently and once that fades his time in there should drop.

I plan to keep the stopwatch going for the moment so we can get a rough estimate of how long each of us spend in the shower, and to see if we can shave some time off our lengths. It will be useful to wash more quickly in itself and save water that way, regardless of the hosepipe ban.

Coincidentally, it began raining as I typed this post up.

4 comments:

  1. I'd lose... it takes me ten minutes. That's crazy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was often spending that long in the shower, too. :o

      One great way to save water in this country would be for the water companies to fix the leaking pipes: I've heard they waste thousands of gallons of water a day.

      Delete
  2. Ah I've had plenty of experience with timed showers when on holiday and the showers (in the campsites) are limited to 4 minutes per each €1 you put into the coin box next to the shower. Once the time runs out, the hot water runs out too. In some campsites, once the time runs out, the water (both hot and cold) runs out too so it's best to be well under the time just in case the latter happens. I've managed to get everything (including washing my hair which is almost elbow length now) washed in the 4 minutes. Although I do find myself spending 15 minutes when I'm at home and am not in much of a hurry :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, there's nothing like a nice, warm shower that suddenly goes cold within five seconds. :)

      Unfortunately, this isn't a holiday, we'll have to do this until the UK gets a significant amount of rainfall again. :( Even so, in a way it might be beneficial, as some of us (myself included) were frequently spending a little too long in the shower. :)

      Oh, and congratulations on being able to wash elbow-length hair within four minutes: that must take quite a bit of skill! :D

      Delete