Tuesday 10 April 2012

Naming a United States Supreme Court case

A few weeks ago Dad read something about a significant portion of people not being able to name at least one United States Supreme court case (I have been trying to find the article, though I am not sure if he read it in an offline magazine). I thought about the subject again today, and I was able to think of four:

Plessy v. Ferguson (declared that black people and white people were "separate but equal" was constitutional)

Brown v. Board of Education (declared that separate schools/facilities for blacks and whites was unequal, and essentially overturned the aforementioned case)

Roe v. Wade (protected abortion rights for women)

Bush v. Gore (ended the dispute of the vote count in Florida in the 2000 presidential election; George W. Bush declared the winner)

I may be able to name a minimum of one, but four is still an incredibly low number, especially considering that there are hundreds of Supreme Court cases. Excluding these four (though please state if you could name them), how many cases can you name?

3 comments:

  1. ooh good challenge! I got those four, plus

    Loving v. Virginia (interracial marriage)
    Gideon v. Wainwright (due process)
    Dred Scott v. Sandford (slavery)

    man, my AP US teacher would be so proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! That's seven! The only other one I had thought of but decided against including because I got the name wrong was Texas v. White: I thought it was Texas v. United States (it declared unilateral state secession to be illegal).

      Welcome to my blog, Betsy! :)

      Delete