Thursday 12 April 2012

Radio call-in fun

I had to laugh earlier when listening to the radio. On the station I was listening to, when people call-in it is either to play a radio game or to request a song. Today someone phoned the station, but it appears all she wanted to do was have a quick chat: when the presenter asked what she wanted to hear, her response was something along the lines of "no, that's all thanks. Bye." The presenter was both amused and bemused (pun intended) by her actions, but moved on after chuckling.

I have heard these things before: even on the radio in Oregon, someone would phone a station, manage to get through, chat for less than a minute then disappear without even wanting to request a song. Other times we would get the opposite when a greedy person would request two songs when they were supposed to only request one.

While partially related to the above, one of the funniest (and most cringe-worthy) radio call-ins was on the Open House Party: I remember one time when someone rang up, John Garabedian (the presenter) asked the person what they wanted to hear, then a massive yell could be heard from the caller's line (it was loud on the radio, so I can only imagine what it was like for Garabedian).

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love when that happens. I hardly listen to the radio anymore, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why's that? Time or not having easy access to a radio?

      Interestingly enough, Dad actually listens to radio more than I do: where he works there is a radio on all all day.

      Delete