Thursday 7 August 2014

"Dollhouse" - Melanie Martinez

I only just (read: last couple of days) discovered this song while on YouTube:


It's "Dollhouse" by Melanie Martinez; the song is from Martinez's debut EP, titled The Dollhouse. Martinez was a contestant on the third season of the US version of The Voice; she was eliminated from the competition in the fifth week. Her coach was Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine.

I thought that "Dollhouse" was solely about a broken family attempting to appear perfect to the public, but according to Martinez, it's a metaphor for how people view celebrities as perfect and dislike it when stars err. I've read more than a few people describe the song and video as "creepy"; while I wouldn't use that particular adjective, I do think the video has a sinister vibe, although I still like it.

"Dollhouse" is an interesting song with an interesting video and is sung by an interesting person. I hope that we'll get to hear more from Melanie Martinez soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment