Sunday 4 December 2011

How to drink coffee

I prefer coffee to tea: water and coffee are the two types of drinks I have every day, and to be honest, I cannot remember the last time I had a cup of tea in the place of a coffee (I do not think I have had any since we moved country). Oddly enough, I do have an interesting way to how I drink coffee; and no, I do not mean I pour it in my ears or anything like that.

I rarely drink hot coffee, mainly for being hard to drink but also because I do not think it is as flavourful as cooled-down coffee. To me, a good cup of coffee is one that has been cooling down (for a good period of time, not just cool enough to drink)...or is even cold: for whatever reason, doing this seems to improve the flavour (at least for me anyway). However, it has to originally be hot first: making a coffee using cold or lukewarm water has always given it a horrible taste whenever I have drank it.

I am not alone in preferring to drink a heavily cooled down cup of coffee: my grandfather and even one of my cousins also do this, although I am not sure if their reasons for drinking coffee this way are the same as mine. My grandfather has been known to make a coffee, go out for a few hours, and then drink it when he comes back home. The longest I have left a coffee was overnight, and subsequently drank it when it was very cold in the morning (and before breakfast at that): even though it was like it had been in the fridge, it tasted much better than a coffee made with cold water!

2 comments:

  1. I miss when I could actually drink coffee (it is advised with my meds I shouldn't because it induces mania), so I drink herbal tea. I should write an entry about that. :) Very interesting post, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't know coffee could have that effect on you. :( I look forward to your post on herbal tea...the only type of herbal tea that we keep in our house that I can think of is peppermint tea in case of sore stomachs.

    ReplyDelete