Thursday 1 December 2011

269-269

In a game of Run Off that my brother and I played last night, we achieved the 269-269 tie in our electoral votes. We unintentionally managed to pull off a combination of states that lead to a 269-269 result, albeit with the 1990 Census the game is based on: originally, when I counted up our votes from the states we thought I had won with 272-266, but when one of my brother's states had accidentally been counted as my own (North Dakota), we discovered that the vote was tied. Here is the electoral map (my states are purple):


In the end, my brother won: we continued to role the dice and answer questions until one of us got one wrong. We got to a fourth question each when I slipped up and my brother won the game. However, a real-life 269-269 result would not be solved as simply as answering questions on game cards until a candidate answered incorrectly!

Note: the above image is not originally mine, but rather, is our modified version of http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ElectoralCollege1992.svg. Licensing is listed on that page.

No comments:

Post a Comment