Sunday 2 September 2012

Gray wolves in Wyoming

I'm disappointed that gray wolves have lost their protected status in Wyoming. Granted, there are 109 breeding pairs in the Northern Rockies (27 in Wyoming), and Wyoming is required to ensure that it maintains at least 150 gray wolves and fifteen breeding pairs, but I think the current numbers are still too low to justify taking them off the endangered species list. I share the concern that this move will lead to wolves being killed, and in a few years they will have to be put on the list again.

I've never really understood the fear of wolves. Harassing livestock is the most cited reason for killing them, but I don't see how wolves are any more threatening to livestock than coyotes or mountain lions: in Southern Oregon ranchers always took steps to ensure that cougars and coyotes could not harm their animals, but these "steps" normally involved a decent fence around their properties or keeping llamas, not a culling of anything that could potentially kill the livestock.

There are 1,100 other gray wolves in Montana and Idaho, and Oregon and Washington are also home to them, but other states shouldn't have to pick up the slack for one. I hope these four states don't do anything that could harm their wolf populations, as that would further hurt the conservation work.

Wolves are wonderful animals; it is a shame there are many misconceptions about them. It's been awhile since I last read it, but I recommend Wolves at Our Door : The Extraordinary Story of the Couple Who Lived with Wolves; based on the recent decision in Wyoming, it's something I need to read again.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is. :( Wolves are majestic animals...I'd hate for the conservation work to be reversed.

      Delete